THE CULTURAL ECONOMY AND THE ECONOMY OF CULTURE
Before the pandemic, the culture and creative industries (CCI) were one of the fastest growing sectors in the world economy. But the sector was one of the hardest struck by COVID.
CCI and the wider cultural economy continue to hold great promise in contributing to economic recovery and also for wider public good, in addressing inequity, promoting social inclusion, fostering cultural diversity and advancing sustainable development. To realise these opportunities, the search is on for more adaptable, resilient and collaborative approaches to building and sustaining cultural and creative ecosystems.
Culture Summit Abu Dhabi 2021 will explore the challenges and opportunities associated with building these ecosystems and the benefits they can deliver around the world. A strong theme will be the International Year of Creative Economy for Sustainable Development, 2021, led by Summit partner the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD).
Topics that will be explored during the Summit include:
- What is the post-covid cultural economy?
- Can the cultural economy advance sustainability goals?
- How does mass migration impact the cultural economy?
- Can the cultural economy tackle global inequality?
- Cultural Infrastructure: What are the guiding principles to reimagine the ethics and responsibilities of today’s cultural institutions?
- Making the local: How can arts institutions become urgent for their communities?
- Globalism in a Post-Pandemic World: What are the new realities and possibilities shaping global art museums and biennials today?
- How to channel funding towards culture in post-crisis situations?
- Why do we focus on artists and the digital technology for the development of a creative economy?
- What role can the cultural economy and the culture and creative industries play in urban recovery and resilience?
In addition, a curated selection of artist talks, film screenings and performances will take place during the Summit.
Join us for three days summit, register today and stay tuned for full programme updates.